The world of SEO is not like it once was years ago. Google continuously alters and changes their search algorithm giving users a much deeper choice of search options for those looking to refine their search daily search queries. Personally I don’t blame Google for all the changes because for Google to grow and continue being relevant changes and tweaks must occur regularly.
Recently Google added verbatim search to their tool set giving users a bit more flexibility when trying to locate the information they seek.
“Behind the simplicity of Google search is a complex set of algorithms that expands and improves the query you’ve typed to find the best results. Automatic spelling correction ([vynal] to “vinyl”) and substituting synonyms (matching [pictures] to “photos”) are just two examples of the improvements we make.”
“Since then, we’ve received a lot of requests for a more deliberate way to tell Google to search using your exact terms. We’ve been listening, and starting today you’ll be able to do just that through verbatim search. With the verbatim tool on, we’ll use the literal words you entered without making normal improvements such as
- making automatic spelling corrections
- personalizing your search by using information such as sites you’ve visited before
- including synonyms of your search terms (matching “car” when you search [automotive])
- finding results that match similar terms to those in your query (finding results related to “floral delivery” when you search [flower shops])
- searching for words with the same stem like “running” when you’ve typed [run]
- making some of your terms optional, like “circa” in [the scarecrow circa 1963]
You can access the verbatim search tool under “More search tools” on the left-hand side.”
Here is a small screenshot on how you can access the verbatim search option. Many users do not realize that they have further options to refine how they search for various queries they are interested in searching for.